Diamond Zerg thought process

StarCraft 2 Zerg Strategies should be posted here

Diamond Zerg thought process

Postby Augphlosion » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:17 am

Hello forums. This is my first post here, so I'm just going to talk about my play, and what I think about while playing. It is 3:00 AM right now, so i will take an extra minute to say sorry for any mistakes I make or say in this post; I really want to sleep. Ok. Getting into this, I might post a replay in the comments below to show a game of me playing at my average. It seems to vary day to day, and you have probably experienced this too. This first part applies to all players, but Zerg is the one race that must pay the most attention to this;

DRONING:I cannot stress how important it is to build drones. You need a good economy if you want to win. Simply stated as such, you can't stop or forget to make workers. ESPECIALLY at the beginning of the game. Droning is the #1 priority. Not typing, or looking around the minimap, Droning. Sure, if you just made a drone and rallied the cocoon manually (This makes the drone go to the mineral patch slightly faster) you can focus on the exact spot your scouting overlord is going, or look around at the watch tower, but you MUST Drone precisely. I've seen so many games come down to that one second where one drone would have made the difference, whether it be meat shielding, or in terms of minerals for getting units out. Next Topic.

INJECTS:NesTea once said, "If you miss injects as a competitive Zerg, you will lose the game." This is almost always true at the higher levels of play, and if you want to get there, listen to NesTea. There's a reason why he is one of the top 3 Korean players. Now if you are a newer Zerg and you are missing injects, it is really no big deal. But as you progress, you will see the importance of it. A few strategies you can try to remember injects with are paying attention to the left side of the screen every so often, where it tells you what units have completed, what upgrades are done, as well as when an inject pops. Another fairly common strategy is to remember the time of the inject, and 40 seconds later, injecting again. Now on to HOW To hotkey queens/hatches to properly execute injects. You could set your hatch(s) at a specific hotkey, and have your queens all on different hotkeys. Then you double tap each hotkey, hit v, and click the hatchery. Another way is to have your hatches separate and do the same thing above, but instead go to the hatch, and then click on the queen to inject. Next Topic.

UNITS:My Protoss friend once played a game as Zerg against me and told me that we only had two cool units; Infestors and Mutalisks. To an extent, this is true. Hydras suck until Heart of the Swarm comes out and they aren't as slow as Motherships Pre 1.4 patch. (Kekekekeke). Ultras are also going to be awesome when HotS comes out, but until then, we will have to work with what we have. So in terms of Infestors, Go insane. They are THE most useable unit in the game. Infested Terrans, Fungals (Nerfed OFC), Neural parasite (Also Nerfed, OFC), There are so many options. You can deny so many bases, kill a lot of clumped units, and take out their most powerful DPS units until the fight is over. To be honest, I don't know why I never used Infestors in Bronze, Silver, or Gold league. Now on to Mutalisks. The scariest thing a Terran will ever see is 50 Mutalisks knocking on their door; Sadly, There is no such thing as four hundred supply, where 50 Mutalisks would be ok. Mutalisks are pretty much the only unit we have that can win games if you micro them like Jae Dong. By that I mean, If you have just lost all your bases but your main, and your Terran buddy is on 4 base ready to end the game, You could win with 30 mutalisks (as long as you can hide many expo's, drones, and queens :3). I've literally contained a Protoss so hard with Mutas, He just left the game before I even made any pokes with my Lings. This is after his 4 gate succeeded and killed my expo. This just goes to show the raw power of Mutas. If you see a Thor, Archon, or Infestors, STAY THE F@%# AWAY OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF THEM. Unless you can split your Mutas without multiple control groups (Another Jae Dong reference), You will lose against 5 fungals if timed properly. If you can magic box a Thor or Archon, Go for it. (Magic boxing refers to move commanding past the unit, then when you are directly over it, you hit the h or hold button). Next Topic.

SCOUTING:This is one thing I still need A LOT of work on. I have recently been doing a much better job doing it thanks to a few practice partners/master Zerg friends. Take the towers with Zerglings. No excuses. Zerglings are the most cost efficient unit in the game, a two for one (larvae) for 50 minerals. If he has a zealot there, Move 8 lings to kill it and leave one there. If there is an army there, take the tower immediately after you fight or after they back up. Don't only take the towers, send in a ling every now and then to see their army composition, or better yet, to scout expo's and maybe (If you are the luckiest Zerg on the planet) get past the front and all units to scout tech. If you see an opening where a base is not defended, Send 10 or so lings to kill workers there. Who knows, maybe he will plant his DT Shrine there? ;). Another thing with scouting is overlord spread. There are so many maps with open pockets of space screaming, FILL ME WITH OVERLORDS!!! Overlord spread helps you spot drops, air harass, and even just unit compositions in general. Especially in ZvZ (Because Zerg sucks and doesn't have a tier 1 ranged unit that can shoot up), overlord spread is something you NEED to win. When your lair finishes, train yourself to get 2-3 overseers. One for your army, one for your bases, one for scouting. Changelings are almost always overlooked by low level players and not spotted. When you get to my level, its a little bit harder to use them to scout, but it is still possible. Burrow lings at expansions, use the overlords Spread creep ability to allow your creep spread to flourish, etc etc. Next Topic.

CREEP SPREAD:Just like I said above, Overlords creep spread ability is pretty awesome. But the thing is, that isn't enough. Creep spread is a great mechanic that Zergs don't utilize like they should. Its very important for crushing Terran, Zerg, and Protoss armies alike. Oh, and did I mention that you need it to BUILD YOUR TECH?? DID I ALSO MENTION IT GIVES YOU VISION?!?! DID I ALSO MENTION IT GIVES ALMOST ALL OF YOUR UNITS A SPEED BOOST WHILE ON IT?!?!?!?!?! Ok, I think you get the point. Even with other factors, like stopping Protoss and Terran from building on it, its almost always the underlooked, unused mechanic that Zerg has. Surrounds on hellions, stalkers, as well as all armies are so much easier. It also makes Hydras NOT AWFUL!!! :O (Although they are still pretty terrible since there is no speed upgrade for them yet). Still though, Creep spread is easy, because of the fact that it almost perfectly lines up with injects. I'm not saying to over prioritize creep spread over everything, but just use it a little more, and you will see how cool it really is. Next Topic.

LARVAE:Spending larvae is simple. Make an attacking unit, or make a worker unit. That's all you can really do. Still, this ties in with injects about spending your larvae (Especially early game) wisely. Lets say you make 6 zerglings at the beginning to defend instead of 4. No big deal, right? Wrong. That is one more drone, which could be mining, making you more money for the long run. You honestly only need 4 lings at the beginning if your opponent is not pressuring you. Hell, I even go with 2 sometimes.
I would go further on this topic, but its 4:00 in the morning, and I want to sleep. I will go over one more topic and wrap it up.

EXPANDING:I am going to close this rant out with probably the easiest topic to cover, because if you do not know about it, then you are probably here wondering why you are losing all of your games. As Zerg, you use your drones to make buildings. Simple, right? But wait, that means 50 minerals are used every time, plus the cost of the building! Well that is ok because someone at Blizzard is bad at math and made our hatcheries cost 300 (+50 of the drone) minerals. That means... 350 minerals!!! Instead of 400?! THAT'S INSANE RIGHT?? Not really... But that is one factor that makes expanding in our favor. It is a lot cheaper than expanding is for Protoss and Terran. Also, it seems our larvae value is DOUBLED if you expand, as well as your mining room, as this doubles your mineral patches, gas geysers, and it also doubles your creep. Expanding is mainly the idea of Zerg because our production shows its true power in the late game. After rolling an army, I usually see a "Zerg OP" message from my opponent as more lings stream in, completely destroying them.

Final thoughts: Practice, practice, practice... If you haven't thought about one of these topics before that were mentioned above, try them out in game and see how it goes for you. ;) . Leave any questions as a comment and I will get back to you ASAP. Check out my stream at Twitch.tv/augphlosion and follow me. I usually cast tournaments, or even sometimes stream my games on ladder/practice with friends. Thanks for reading. Peace out.
Twitch.tv/augphlosion
Diamond Zerg streaming! :D
Team OpGaming.
Augphlosion
Gold Member

Re: Diamond Zerg thought process

Postby BLaM » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:07 pm

Wicked post. Front pagin' this shit.
I won't deny it, I'm a straight rider, you don't wanna fuck with me
-Tupac
BLaM
Site Admin

Postby immaterial » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:23 am

choosing between drones and attacking units is still a difficult thing for me. ill get better one of these days.
immaterial
n00b

Postby hivetyrant36 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:59 am

One question I have about Overlords. When I spread mine out, I usually see them die when Marines or stalkers move out. How would I stop this, eg, putting them inside an object like high trees or in strange paths?
hivetyrant36
Bronze Member

Postby Augphlosion » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:50 pm

hivetyrant36 wrote:One question I have about Overlords. When I spread mine out, I usually see them die when Marines or stalkers move out. How would I stop this, eg, putting them inside an object like high trees or in strange paths?

One way to stop this from happening is to not put overlords in open paths where ground units can walk. Try filling empty air space, like the middle of Xel'naga Caverns. In early game ZvZ, you can put them a little bit outside of the other Zergs base, but try to be careful about it. Against Terran and Protoss, just use the open air space to spot drops or to see the edges of where units can walk. For the rest of the map, grab the watch towers with a ling.
Twitch.tv/augphlosion
Team OpGaming.
Augphlosion
Gold Member

Postby Wiggins » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Thank you for the great tips. This should help me in becoming a better Zerg player appreciate it.
The only way to win is to conquer all and force the surrender.
Wiggins
Platinum Member

Postby perrodelmal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:23 am

I should take a notebook and write it and read this while Im playing..
perrodelmal
Bronze Member

Postby Augphlosion » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:29 am

Don't read it while playing, try to keep it in mind and just work on what you need. :)
Twitch.tv/augphlosion
Team OpGaming.
Augphlosion
Gold Member

Postby james12600 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:20 pm

god its 20:20 here and im too tired to read it, i must get more sleep xD
made it to gold :D so much cheese xD
james12600

Postby Augphlosion » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:37 am

Lol, then sleep. Took me an hour to write this and I was tired the whole time.
Twitch.tv/augphlosion
Team OpGaming.
Augphlosion
Gold Member

Postby perrodelmal » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:45 am

oh. i was just trying to say that this is really hard to keep that in mind and do all those things at the same time. The best way is to minimize the time you try to do all that when scouting and defending and attacking at the same time. this is worse than chess foo!! !(*0*)! but u r right . keep that stuff in mind if I wanna beat you!
perrodelmal
Bronze Member

Postby JaggedFel » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:59 am

Wow, the most comprehensive help on Zerg I've seen. Great help tips. I think that I am playing Zerg better because of reading this. Thanks dude.
You never want your wingman to be a kamikaze.
-JaggedFel
(Yup, I came up with it)
JaggedFel
Platinum Member

Postby james12600 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:51 pm

ok i have slept and read it, YAAY I KNOW MORE ABOUT ZERG THAN MY ACTUAL RACE NOW, this is a crazy great post btw TY much
made it to gold :D so much cheese xD
james12600

Postby Tailz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:03 am

got the head knowledge. now to put it into actually gameplay! :D
Tailz
Platinum Member

Postby Augphlosion » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Welcome guys. :p
Twitch.tv/augphlosion